The Office of Developmental Programs (ODP) Consolidated and Person/Family Directed Services Waiver (P/FDS) Renewals require that, in order to provide Supports Broker services, Supports Brokers must successfully complete a Supports Broker Certification Program provided by ODP or its Designee to provide Supports Broker services. Staff hired on or after July 1, 2017 must successfully complete the Supports Broker Certification Program prior to enrollment as a Supports Broker. Staff hired prior to the effective date of this waiver must complete this program by 1/1/19.
The Office of Developmental Programs has contracted with The Institute on Disabilities to provide this certification training. This two-part training provides prospective supports brokers with information they need to understand Participant Directed Services and Supports (PDS) and the role the broker plays in helping people be successful with self-directing their services. Guided by principles of self-determination, training participants will gain knowledge and skills necessary to enhance natural supports, support participants with employer related responsibilities, and assist people with program rules and person-centered planning.
This new certification program consists of 2 required parts:
- Seven (7) Online Training Modules completed via www.myodp.org. These will serve as foundational training and will be a pre-requisite to the classroom portion.
- Two (2) Day Classroom Training* that builds off the online training providing the participants with opportunities to expand their knowledge, practice their skills, and engage in activities and discussion related to the role of the supports broker. After you have attended the classroom certification, you will be granted access to the final test found on your session page. You will receive an ODP Supports Broker Certification with a passing score of 80% or better.
* Classroom Certification Details - Due to COVID-19, we are offering a VIRTUAL "Classroom" via Zoom:
Considerations for the Virtual Classroom
- You must be a Pennsylvania resident to attend this certification. Additionally, registrants should be planning to work as a certified supports broker in Pennsylvania. This certification is not intended for people who simply "want to learn" about supports brokering.
- You must have a computer or tablet and internet connection to participate. We will not admit users connecting via cell phone or landline only.
- You must attend and participate in BOTH virtual sessions, with video on, for their entirety in order to get access to the final exam.
- Due to the virtual classroom format, the material will be provided over a 2-day span. Lunch and comfort breaks will be built into the schedule each day. Attendance and participation BOTH days is required.
- Registrants should familiarize themselves with Zoom prior to the first day of class. You will be sent a password protected Zoom link* and classroom documents via email no later than 24 hours prior to the first day of class.
* When you register, you are agreeing that you will NOT share this link or password with anyone else.
- Registrants should block out time to attend class just as you would if class were being held in person. Please plan to be in a quiet location with minimal distractions.
- Principles of Self-Determination & Participant-Directed Supports
- The Role of the Supports Broker & Collaborative Partnerships
- Developing Community Connections, Relationships, and Natural Supports
- Person-Centered Thinking and Planning
- Participant-Directed Supports
- Employer Responsibilities and Basic Employment Law
Questions and Accommodations Requests
If you have any questions regarding the online modules or classroom certification registration or need to request reasonable accommodations (at least two weeks advance notice required), please email Denise Beckett: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information and instructions for the online portion will be distributed to those that register. The online trainings may be taken at your convenience but must be taken no later than the week prior to the training. The online trainings will take approximately 6-8 hours in total to complete. Registration will save your spot in the training, but you will not be confirmed or admitted into the training until you successfully complete the online portion.
For more information about PDS
Contact us at email@example.com.