RESEARCH & EVALUATION
An a exciting initiative focused on siblings of people with disabilities has launched in Pennsylvania.
The Pennsylvania Developmental Disabilities Council (PADDC) has funded the Siblings Investigation project being led by the Sibling Leadership Network (SLN) in partnership with the Institute on Disabilities at Temple University and the Pennsylvania Sibling Support Network (PSSN).
The Goal of the project is to examine how the Council can engage in work with the siblings of people with disabilities in Pennsylvania.
To achieve this goal, we have done the following:
- Conducted a national sibling survey;
- Held focus groups across Pennsylvania to listen to and learn from people with disabilities and their siblings;
- Created stakeholder group to translate findings from the national survey into promising practices in PA
We are looking for Pennsylvania adult brothers and sisters of people with disabilities to be part of the Sibling Ambassadors Program!
Sibling Ambassadors Program
The Sibling Ambassadors Program is a leadership training program for adult siblings of people with disabilities to build the sibling network in Pennsylvania and become Sibling Ambassadors in your region.
Sibling Ambassadors will:
- Attend the sibling leadership training September 16 & 17 in Harrisburg, PA to build leadership skills as well as learn about the sibling movement and the resources available to support siblings
- Develop an action plan at the training to help create a sibling support group in your region
- Help expand the PA Sibling Support Network by connecting siblings in your region and creating a sibling support group
- Build awareness about the sibling experience in your region by disseminating information and resources to your networks
Who is eligible for the program?
We are looking for a total of 20 adult siblings of people with disabilities from across the five regions of Pennsylvania to participate in this training and become SibAmbassadors in their regions.
How do I apply?
Applications are due May 31, 2016.
The Sibling Leadership Network, Sibling Ambassadors Program website has the application plus more information.
You will also find:
- The results of the national sibling survey,
- The results of the Pennsylvania sibling focus groups,
- Archive of the April 5 webinar.