Become a LEADER in your community.
Learn to work with policymakers to make a difference in the quality of life for people with intellectual disabilities and/or on the autism spectrum.
C2P2 is a free program for:
- Family members of a school age child with an intellectual disability and/or on the autism spectrum;
- People with an intellectual disability and/or on the autism spectrum.
2019 Session Dates
- January 25-26, 2019
- March 1-2, 2019
- March 29-30, 2019
- April 12-13, 2019
- May 3-4, 2019
- May 31 - June 1, 2019
- June 21-22, 2019
- September 13-14, 2019
Fridays: 1 PM - 9 PM
Saturdays: 8 AM -3 PM
Drury Plaza Hotel Pittsburgh
745 Grant Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Participants Will Learn
- About local, state and national issues affecting people with disabilities;
- To foster a partnership between people who need supports and services and those who make policy and law;
- To advocate for themselves and others;
- To teach policymakers a new way of thinking about people with disabilities.
- History of the Self-Advocacy and Independent Living Movement
- History of the Family Movement
- Visioning for a Preferred Future
- Best Practices in:
- Early Intervention
- Inclusive Education
- Community Inclusion
- Federal, State and Local Laws and Regulations
- How to effectively educate Legislators
- How to run a meeting
- How to serve on a Board of Directors
- Effective Communication
- Conflict resolution
- Assistive Technology
- Community of Practice in Supporting Families and in Employment
- Community Engagement
- Community Organizing and Resource Development
- Successful applicants MUST commit to attend ALL sessions in person at the Pittsburgh location;
- Attendees must review all materials before and after each session;
- Homework will be assigned and must be completed;
- Complete a Community Action project.
Participants will be reimbursed for travel, personal assistance services and childcare costs (based on individual circumstances) and provided lodging (if 40+ miles are traveled).
C2P2 is free but only a limited number of applications will be accepted.
Applications must be received by January 7, 2019. All applicants will be notified on or around January 14, 2019.