Graduate Externship: Vision for Equality
100% Appointment (Full Time - 20 hours)
One full-time (20 hours) externship position is available with Vision for Equality (VFE), an advocacy organization for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. Refer to the website for more information about this organization.
VFE is located in center city Philadelphia, proximate to public transportation and parking. The work site requirements will align with any COVID-19 restrictions/response. Remote work may be expected on occasion.
This position specifically supports the Independent Monitoring for Quality (IM4Q) Program. IM4Q is an information-gathering process the Commonwealth of PA's Office of Developmental Programs (ODP) uses to collect satisfaction and outcome data to improve the lives of individuals with an intellectual and/or developmental disabilities.
- Any graduate student may apply. Preference is given to students pursuing terminal degrees (generally Doctoral [Ph.D. Ed.D.] candidates) and students in the first year of their graduate program.
- Individuals with lived experience (personal and/or professional) of disability and/or experience navigating disability systems are encouraged to apply.
- Assists program manager with data entry, coding, and sorting associated with IM4Q program — this includes data entry into three different database systems and the ability to move seamlessly between the three systems.
- Use of various virtual meeting platforms: MS Teams, Zoom, or others as the situation requires.
- Performs clerical duties as needed.
- Schedules interview and supports phone intake of consumer surveys.
- Organizes data, files, calendars.
- Other duties as assigned.
- All responsibilities must be completed in a timely matter and acceptable quality as determined by the supervisor(s).
As a full time position (20H/week), the Graduate Extern will spend 17H/week in job tasks and 3H/week participating in professional development in a weekly interdisciplinary graduate seminar.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills including with outside entities such as the AE or service providers.
- Ability to easily synthesize complex information and provide summaries.
- Motivated, recognizing priorities in processing of work
- Flexible with juggling tasks and scheduling.
- Detail oriented.
- Experience using Word, MS Excel and/or working in/with databases, virtual conferencing systems.
- Sensitivity and knowledge of the disability community culture.
This is a full time (20 hours/week) Graduate Extern position. The student will be paid in equal monthly stipends at the standard Temple extern rate. Students receive 12 months of medical benefits September 1 through August 31.
Applicants must submit the following to Kate.Fialkowski@temple.edu:
- Cover letter detailing qualifications and interest specific to the position
- A resume or CV
- Two letters of reference
An application is not considered complete until all are received.