- Agnew, S. E., Powell, M. B., & Snow, P. C. (2006). An examination of the questioning styles of police officers and caregivers when interviewing children with intellectual disabilities. Legal and Criminological Psychology, 11(1), 35-53. doi:10.1348/135532505X68494
- Caffero-Tolemy, A. (2012). Relationship Between IQ and Juvenile Offending in Youth with Asperger's Disorder/PDD-NOS.
- Cheely, C. a, Carpenter, L. a, Letourneau, E. J., Nicholas, J. S., Charles, J., & King, L. B. (2012). The prevalence of youth with autism spectrum disorders in the criminal justice system. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 42(9), 1856-62. doi:10.1007/s10803-011-1427-2
- Chen, P., Chen, S., & Yang, Y. (2003). Asperger's disorder: a case report of repeated stealing and the collecting behaviours of an adolescent patient. Acta Psychiatrica …, 73-76.
- Frize, M., Kenny, D., & Lennings, C. (2008). The relationship between intellectual disability, Indigenous status and risk of reoffending in juvenile offenders on community orders. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research: JIDR, 52(Pt 6), 510-9. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2788.2008.01058.x
- Fujikawa, J., Umeshita, S., & Mutura, H. (2002). Sexual crimes committed by adolescents with Asperger's disorder: Problems of management by the viewpoint of probation officers at a family court. Japanese Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 43.
- Gore, M. T., & Janssen, K. N. (2007). What Educators Need to Know About Abused Children With Disabilities. Preventing School Failure: Alternative Education for Children and Youth, 52(January 2015), 49-55. doi:10.3200/PSFL.52.1.49-55
- Henry, L., Ridley, A., Perry, J., & Crane, L. (2011). Perceived credibility and eyewitness testimony of children with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research: JIDR, 55(4), 385-91. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2788.2011.01383.x
- Herrington, V. (2009). Assessing the prevalence of intellectual disability among young male prisoners. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research: JIDR, 53(5), 397-410. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2788.2008.01150.x
- Hibbard, R. a, & Desch, L. W. (2007). Maltreatment of children with disabilities. Pediatrics, 119, 1018-1025. doi:10.1542/peds.2007-0565
- Howe, D. (2006). Disabled children, maltreatment and attachment. British Journal of Social Work, 36, 743-760. doi:10.1093/bjsw/bch419
- Kawakami, C., Ohnishi, M., Sugiyama, T., Someki, F., Nakamura, K., & Tsujii, M. (2012). The risk factors for criminal behaviour in high-functioning autism spectrum disorders (HFASDs): A comparison of childhood adversities between individuals with HFASDs who exhibit criminal behaviour and those with HFASD and no criminal histories. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 6(2), 949-957. doi:10.1016/j.rasd.2011.12.005
- Koller, R. (2000). Sexuality and Adolescents with Autism. Sexuality and Disability, 18(2), 251-266.
- Lerner MD Northrup EC, Lawer L, Bursztajn HJ, H. O. S. (2012). Emerging perspectives on adolescents and young adults with high-functioning autism spectrum disorders, violence, and criminal law. The Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 40(2), 177-190.
- Lightfoot, E. B., & LaLiberte, T. L. (2006). Approaches to child protection case management for cases involving people with disabilities. Child Abuse & Neglect, 30, 381-391. doi:10.1016/j.chiabu.2005.10.013
- Lindblad, I., Billstedt, E., Gillberg, C., & Fernell, E. (2013). An interview study of young adults born to mothers with mild intellectual disability. Journal of Intellectual Disabilities: JOID, 17(4), 329-38. doi:10.1177/1744629513508366
- Mcafee, J. K., Schwilk, C., & Mitruski, M. (2006). Public Policy on Physical Restraint of Children with Disabilities in Public Schools. Education and Treatment of Children, 29(4), 711-728.
- Müller, E. (2011). Reentry Programs for Students with Disabilities in the Juvenile Justice System: Four State Approaches. In Forum, (December), 1-12.
- Mustanski, B. S., Garofalo, R., & Emerson, E. M. (2010). Mental health disorders, psychological distress, and suicidality in a diverse sample of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youths. American Journal of Public Health, 100(12), 2426-32. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2009.178319
- Newport, M., & Newport, J. (2002). Autism-Asperger's and sexuality: Puberty and beyond. Arlington, TX: Future Horizons.
- Paterson, P. (2008). How well do young offenders with Asperger syndrome cope in custody?. British Journal of Learning Disabilities, 36(1), 54-58. doi:10.1111/j.1468-3156.2007.00466.x
- Quinn, M., Osher, D., & Poirier, J. (2005). Youth with disabilities in juvenile corrections: A national survey. Exceptional Children, 71(3), 339-345.
- Ray, F., Marks, C., & Bray-Garretson, H. (2004). Challenges to Treating Adolescents with Asperger's Syndrome Who are Sexually Abusive. Sexual Addiction & Compulsivity, 11(4), 265-285. doi:10.1080/10720160490900614
- Redmond, S. M. (2011). Peer Victimization Among Students With Specific Language Impairment, Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, and Typical Development. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 42(October), 520-535. doi:10.1044/0161-1461(2011/10-0078)a
- Reiter, S., Bryen, D. N., & Shachar, I. (2007). Adolescents with intellectual disabilities as victims of abuse. Journal of Intellectual Disabilities: JOID, 11, 371-387. doi:10.1177/1744629507084602
- Reiter, S., & Lapidot-Lefler, N. (2007). Bullying among special education students with intellectual disabilities: Differences in social adjustment and social skills. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 45(3), 174-181. doi:10.1352/1934-9556(2007)45[174:BASESW]2.0.CO;2
- Romney, S. C., Litrownik, A. J., Newton, R. R., & Lau, A. (n.d.). The relationship between child disability and living arrangement in child welfare. Child Welfare, 85(6), 965-84.
- Rosen, D. B. (2006). Violence and exploitation against women and girls with disability. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1087, 170-177. doi:10.1196/annals.1385.002
- Rutherford, R., & Bullis, M. (2002). Youth with Disabilities in the Correctional System: Prevalence Rates and Identification Issues, (July), 1-32.
- Sanghera, P. (2007). Abuse of children with disabilities in hospital: issues and implications. Paediatric Nursing, 19(6), 29-32.
- Stenhjem, P. (2005). Youth With Disabilities in the Juvenile Justice System: Prevention and Intervention Strategies. Examining Current Challenges in Secondary Education and Transition, 4(1).
- Sutton, L. R., Hughes, T. L., Huang, a., Lehman, C., Paserba, D., Talkington, V., ... Marshall, S. (2012). Identifying Individuals With Autism in a State Facility for Adolescents Adjudicated as Sexual Offenders: A Pilot Study. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 28(3), 175-183. doi:10.1177/1088357612462060
- Weiner, M. T., & Miller, M. (2006). Deaf children and bullying: directions for future research. American Annals of the Deaf, 151(1), 61-70. doi:10.1353/aad.2006.0021
Equal Justice Articles and Journals List
For more information about Equal Justice programs, training, technical assistance, and other resources, please contact
Beverly Frantz PhD, Project Director
voice: 215-204-5078 | TTY: 1-215-204-1805